Find is translated by the community. Want to help? Get started with the Translation Dashboard!
After signing up, head to the Translation Dashboard. You should see something like this:
Click whichever language you’d like to work with. You should then see 2 files:
- Localizable.strings contains most of the words to translate.
- Localizable.stringsdict contains any words that have plural forms.
Feel free to start with whichever. After selecting one, you’ll see the translation editor:
This is where you can enter translations. When you’re done, hit “Save” and I’ll review it. That’s about it!
Here’s an example of what you’ll see for each word to translate.
- The string identifier used in the source code.
- The default English translation.
- Some comments that I’ve added for context.
- A screenshot for reference. I’ll usually add these whenever a word’s purpose is really confusing.
- The translation that you submit.
The string identifier uses dot syntax and represents where the word appears in the app.
Some words like “Add” or “Cancel” appear all over the place, so they’ll be prefixed with
If you need extra context or have any questions, ping me in the
#general-find channel in the Discord server.
Some sentences have nested variables that are populated on-the-fly. For these, just include the original variable token in your translated string.
x followers need to account for cases where
x is one. These types of sentences are stored in Localizable.stringsdict and their identifiers will always start with
Here you can enter separate translations for
Note: There’s a bunch of
%#@variable@template strings that I couldn’t get rid of. You can ignore them.
- Discord server — ask anything.
- Twitter DMs — if you have anything you’d like to discuss with me, I’m here.
- Email — I’m always open to emails!
Update August 14, 2022:
Uploaded the first batch of strings for Find v3.0.
Update July 30, 2022:
iOS 16 will introduce text search in Photos, which makes the current version of Find almost useless (I got sherlocked 😢). So, I’m working on Find v3.0 right now. In about 3 weeks I’ll have the base foundation done. (Sneak peeks on my Twitter). Thanks to those who’ve signed up already!
Update May 22, 2022:
I’m still working on gathering all the strings in the app. I should be done in a couple days. In the meantime, join the Discord server?
The translation dashboard is already set up (translations are managed through Crowdin) but I haven’t uploaded anything to translate yet. You can still sign up for an account though!